15 interesting and little-known facts about hockey
1. It turns out that the first puck for playing hockey was square.
2. According to the Detroit Free Press, at least 68% of professional hockey players lost on the ice one by one.
3. Already in the first game with Canada at the World Cup in 1954, the USSR squad defeated the opponent 7: 2.
4. Despite the impressive physical strength, many hockey players are superstitious people. For example, John Maddin believes that changing the lace on skates after each training and after each period brings him luck.
5. During strong impacts, the speed of the puck’s flight reaches 193 km / h.
6. The machine for pouring ice was invented by California resident Frank Zamboni in 1945.
7. The word “hockey” has French roots. The name of the game came from the word “hoquet”, which meant “shepherd’s staff”.
8. Hockey washer is made of vulcanized rubber and weighs 200 gr. Before the game starts, it is frozen, so that it does not spring.
9. According to the rules of the National Hockey League, players are allowed to use aspirin, drugs and alcoholic beverages.
Do not miss 10 interesting facts about the Summer Olympics 2012
10. Thick ice prevents rapid sliding, so usually ice is poured on 7.6-10 cm.
11. Hockey is a fast game, so the goalkeeper has only 0.45 seconds to react to a throw made from 18.3 meters from the gate.
12. The first hockey match was held on March 3, 1875 in Montreal on the rink “Victoria”, which was written in the local newspaper “Montreal Gazette”.
13. First, the hockey teams consisted of nine people, then from seven and only in 1904, the teams became six.
14. Now the prestigious NHL award Stanley Cup was once purchased by Lord Frederick Arthur Stanley for £ 10.
15. Until May 18, 2008, Russia did not win the World Hockey Championship for 15 years.
Now you know more 🙂